When my son comes home from daycare, all he can talk about is his friend Aiden. It’s Aiden and I did this, did that, ate lunch, went to the washroom, played cars, played outside … Aiden Aiden Aiden. Aiden is the ultimate buddy. He and my son are inseparable. When they leave each other at daycare, they say goodbye with a warm hug and a high five – no worries about their sexuality or what others may think about their embrace. Just pure affection.
As we get older and develop more interests, it becomes difficult to have a buddy to share everything with. You will be lucky to share a few common interests. For the man evolved, who has a dynamic range of interests, here are some friends you might want as your buddy.
1. The Academic – He’s super educated and can deconstruct any ideas, put it back together in ways you can only scratch your head at. But he is not pretentious and enjoys discussing ideas without making you feel like an eight year old. This buddy will help you develop your Grey matter and get you thinking. A good friend to enjoy a Scotch with on the leather couches in your man den.
2. The Mentor – This is the friend who has his shit together. He knows his priorities, has a stable career and is successful in every way. He is well read, knows everything (without being a know-it all) and has a good head on his shoulders. A great friend to help you with important decisions in your life, by offering wisdom in his perspective. This is someone you hope to become one day.
3. The Gay Friend – Your typical guy friend is supportive in every way, enabling almost. You are always ‘the man’ no matter how ‘not the man’ you really are. A gay friend tells it as it is. This is the friend that will tell you that you are ‘indeed’ overweight (even when you suck in your gut) and your outfit makes you look like a pimp. Sure, that honesty hurts, but it will motivate you to get real and do better. You know you are indeed ‘the man’ when your gay friend compliments you.
4. The Party Buddy (Fun Bobby) – This is your best friend in college, when life was one big fucking party. This friend gets you to forget your problems and convinces you not to take things too seriously, if even for a few hours. He also has the ability to convince you that getting drunk, taking off your shirt and dancing on big speakers in a club will get you laid. This friend doesn’t judge you because you’ve drank one too many beers or smoked a big fat ‘hooey’. He’s the guy you want to organize your bachelor party. Maybe not the best man, but for sure a groomsman.
5. The Ultimate Single Guy – This is an important buddy to have when you are married. He is the opposite of what you are to him – The Hapless Married Guy. He is the buddy who shares his dating lifestyle with you, so you can live vicariously through him.
6. The Girl Friend – This friend helps to provide important perspective to your heterosexual relationship. No one understands what a woman is thinking, then another woman. Because there are no complications, like sex in the way; the girl friend can remain calm while talking about heated man/woman issues. A very valuable friend to have and one that will help you with your relationship with your wife or girlfriend.
7. The Action Buddy – He’s the fit and ripped guy who is constantly on the move. What the academic friend is to your brain, the action buddy is to your body. He motivates you to get off your ass and go ride your bike.
8. The Adventurer – He’s the guy who takes risks. He’s not afraid of change and is constantly seeking ways to challenge himself; because he can get out of his comfort zone, and grow as an individual. This friend helps you think about life and look at ways to improve. He’s the guy who helps you discover what you are made of – by hanging you off the side of a cliff with a 10mm rope if need be.
9. The Work Friend – The work friend can evolve into any of the other types of friends, even the dog if your job is a police officer in the canine unit. Because work can sometime be ‘work’, it is important to have someone to goof around with. In a lot of ways, you spend the most time with the work buddy. Sometimes you bitch about work but most time you distract each other with conversations that help you escape.
10. The Dog – Loyal, nonjudgmental and always there for you. Low maintenance too. Just give it water, food, a walk now and again, with an occasional belly rub and he will love you for life.
Everyone man needs a buddy to hang out with from time to time. Choose your friend wisely and you’ll have an Aiden for life. To all my friends, here’s a big manly hug.